Asian Pacific Islander South Asian Disordered Eating Support Group
A compassionate space for Asian Pacific Islander South Asian adults (18+) to share their experiences with disordered eating and body image, to receive support, and to find a sense of empowerment through a communal support group
Open to all Asian Pacific Islander South Asian adults 18+ anywhere in the US
$300 for all 8 sessions; sliding scale & payment plans available
Support group to help you learn tools and techniques for navigating disordered eating
75-minute evening sessions on Tuesdays from 5:15PM - 6:30PM PT | 8:15PM - 9:30PM ET | 7:15PM - 8:30PM CT
Zoom link to be sent upon signup
This group will begin on February 21st, 2023. Register to join this cohort.
Group members will unpack their relationship with food and their bodies, discover ways to improve these relationships, and make peace with eating.
Navigate Disordered Eating & Recovery
- Myths about disordered eating
- Expectations and hopes for recovery
- What’s your why: Clarifying values and motivation for change
Navigate Ambivalence & Cognitive Distortions
- Evaluate pros and cons of disordered eating vs. recovery
- Cognitive distortions surrounding food and your body
Build Tolerance for Difficult Emotions
- The connection between feelings and disordered eating
- Learn coping skills for difficult emotions
Utilize Internal vs. External Cues for Eating
- Exploring health and wellness
- Intuitive Eating vs. Diet Mentality
- Uncover your food rules
- Become a caretaker of your body
- Restrict-binge cycle
- Principles of Intuitive Eating
Unpack Your Body Image
- Learn the 3 components of body image
- Create a body image timeline
- Body image as a spectrum
- Channel your traits in a way that works for you
- Foster a better relationship with your body
- Imagining recovery
- Group reflection
THIS GROUP IS RIGHT FOR YOU IF...
- You are a person age 18+
- You struggle with disordered eating (e.g. restricting, binging, compensating for food consumed).
- You feel motivated to improve your relationship with food, even if you sometimes have doubts.
- You want to connect with other people who are going through similar struggles.
THIS GROUP IS NOT RIGHT FOR YOU IF...
- You need a higher level of care for eating disorder support than the outpatient level, including Intensive Outpatient, Partial Hospitalization, Residential Treatment, and Inpatient Hospitalization. If you are uncertain for additional information about the varying levels of care in eating disorder treatment.
- You are physically or medically compromised due to disordered eating.
- You are actively self harming in ways that require medical attention.
- You require outside assistance or supervision to be able to eat regularly.
- Note: These groups are intended to provide peer support and are not a replacement for medical treatment.
Difference between this group and body journey group
- You may be wondering what the difference is between the Disordered Eating Group vs. our Asian Female & Femme Body Journey Support Group. While there is some overlap between the groups, this group is specifically focused on disordered eating, including understanding what disordered eating is and what the contributing factors are as well as working to improve your relationship with food. Furthermore, although this group will discuss the ways in which we treat and view our bodies, this discussion will focus on the connection between body image and disordered eating. On the other hand, our Asian Femme Body group will focus more on navigating different frameworks for conceptualizing body image and learning how to build body acceptance. Finally, the Disordered Eating group is open to individuals of all genders and ethnicities.